Windows 10 provides various features for its users in its updated versions. Still, sometimes users reported some installation issues which arise due to malfunctioning of your OS, missing or corrupted system files, or even when your Windows image gets corrupted. In this case, it is advised to use the SFC (System File Checker) tool to identify the particular corrupted files.
In case the replacement files of the Windows 10 image get corrupted, then the SFC will not work. Here, you have to use “DISM” to detect the problem by scanning and to fix the image “install.wim.” After fixing this issue by DISM, then you can use “SFC” to repair missing or defected system files.
Here is how to fix all the system related issue on Windows 10 during installation to use the SFC and DISM tools through the Command Prompt:
Using DISM to fix Windows 10 Image
The “Deployment Image Servicing and Management command tool” or DISM provides you three different features to fix this image issue:
You may use these services provided by DISM to fix the issue of Windows 10 and can also apply the “RestoreHealth” feature to fix the image issue through the various sources.
Detecting Issues with DISM through CheckHealth
You may apply this feature “CheckHealth” through DISM to promptly identify any issue located in the Windows 10 local image.
Follow these steps to detect the image issue:
- First of all, you have to launch the Start menu.
- Then, open the Run dialog box and search the “Command Prompt.”
- Once the listing appears, then you have to click the uppermost available options right and choose the option “Run as administrator.”
- After that, enter the command to start the function of CheckHealth:
“DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth.”
- Then, hit the Enter key from your keyboard.
When you finish these steps, the command will begin detecting the issue regarding data corruption, which requires troubleshooting.
Detecting Image Issue with DISM through ScanHealth
You can also use the DISM with “ScanHealth” for detecting the image issue on your Windows 10. It will provide a more advanced scan to your system.
If you wish to use run an advanced scan to find any corrupted file or data on your Windows 10, then follow these steps:
- First of all, hit the “Start” menu.
- After that, search for the “Command Prompt” option.
- Then, you have to the right click the available uppermost option located at the top of the list and choose the option “Run as administrator.”
- Now, you have to enter the following command:
- “DISM / Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth.”
- Then, tap the enter key.
Once you complete these steps, wait for a while and look for the advance scan. It will detect any issue for troubleshooting.
Fixing Issue with DISM through the use of RestoreHealth
If you wish to run an advance scan by RestoreHealth by the use of DISM, then you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, tap on the “Start” icon.
- After that, search for the “Command Prompt.”
- Next, you have to choose the option right, “Run as administrator.”
- After that, you have to enter the mentioned command:
- “DISM /Online / Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.”
- Finally, wait for a while to complete the process.
- Now, the DISM will automatically connect to the update servers of your Windows to install and replace missing or defected data and files for your Windows 10 image.
Fixing the Image Issue by using the “WIM” Image with DISM
In case the Windows Update is reflecting issues, then you required to run an alternate source through any other image to fix the particular data or file.
To troubleshoot this issue by the WIM image file, you are required an “install.esd” or “install. Wim” file, ISO file, or a bootable download media from a different computer. It is also mandatory that the source of your known file matches the same edition, version, and the particular language of your Windows 10.
Installing Windows 10 ISO file
If you wish to install the “ISO” file, then it is recommended to use the “Media Creation Tool.”
Follow these steps to download the ISO file:
- Firstly, you have to navigate to the Microsoft support site.
- After that, hit the button “Download Tool now.”
- Then, you have to locate the file option “MediaCreationTool1xxxx.exe” and then double click it. It will expand the application.
- After that, hit the “Accept” tab to provide your consent that you agree to the terms and conditions of the particular application and service.
- Next, hit the option “Create installation media for another media.”
- Now, tap the “Next” tab here.
- Then, hit on “Next” once more.
- After that, you have to choose the option of “ISO” file.
- Now, tap on “Next.”
- Then, choose a particular destination for your ISO file saving location.
- Tap on the “Save” option.
- Next, hit the file location link option to expand the File Explorer window.
- After that, you have to hit the “Finish’ tab here.
- Now, locate the “Windows.iso” file and then double click it to fix the Windows 10 image.
Note down the characters written on the drive for using the fixed image.
- Now, you can use the “DISM” to fix the particular local image once the above process finishes.
Troubleshooting Windows 10 Restoring Image
If you wish to use DISM to detect the source, then continue with the under-mentioned steps:
- First of all, launch the “Start” icon located on your system.
- Then, you have to search for the “Command prompt,” then tap right click on the uppermost available option via listing options.
- Now choose the option “Run as Administrator.”
- After that, you have to enter the following command:
“DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image / restore health / Source : E : \ sources \install.win.”
- Next, hit the enter key from your keyboard.
- Now, your provided command will detect any available issue and then fix it through “install.wim.”
Note: Replace the letter “E” for the character associated with the ISO fixing point.
Applying SFC to Fix the Installation Issues
You can use the System File Checker to fix the common issues with the working image, which causes hindrances in running Windows 10.
Follow these steps to run the SFC tool to fix the update installation issue:
- Firstly, hit the “Start” icon.
- Now, search for the “Command Prompt” option and tap the right click on the uppermost available option from the given list, which is “Run as Administrator.”
- Now, you have to enter the under-mentioned command path: “SFC /scannow.”
Abigail Smith is an inventive person who has been doing intensive research in particular topics and writing blogs and articles on Windows Update Errors and many other related topics. He is a very knowledgeable person with lots of experience.